Student Learning Outcomes
The Division of Student Affairs works to fulfill the mission of Concordia University Irvine through its commitment to the holistic growth, development, and success of students. Our team is dedicated to creating opportunities for engagement and learning in a supportive, caring, and Christ-centered environment. We equip students to achieve their goals and to become wise, honorable, and cultivated citizens in a global society.
Aligned with the University and the Division of Student Affairs mission statements, the Division of Student Affairs at Concordia University Irvine developed measurable Student Learning Outcomes (SLO) to ensure our programs and services are purposeful and meaningful to our students. The SLOs exist to provide depth for students engaged in our programs and services and, moreover, to ensure intentional learning. The following tenets were used as a foundation in developing the SLOs:
- Students will grow in responsibility and values through a continual development of a wise mind.
- Students will have an opportunity to engage in service within the community while developing an honorable heart.
- Students will grow in appreciation of holistic growth and develop a cultivated character.
- Student Safety Assistants (SSA) will demonstrate initiative within their community by (1) identifying areas of need or improvement within the Campus Safety office or on campus and (2) lead projects to satisfy those needs.
- SSAs will demonstrate the following customer service skills when conducting Campus Safety services: positive attitude, timeliness, effective communication, diligence, and care for customer.
Career Development Services
- Students will be able to identify their interests, skills, values, and personal characteristics.
- Students will write a targeted, chronological resume, free of grammatical and spelling errors.
First Year Experience
- Through Week of Welcome, new students will know the layout of the campus.
- Through Week of Welcome, new students will understand the roles of the student affairs staff/faculty and how to utilize them throughout their transition.
- Through Academic Warning meetings, first year students will take advantage of campus resources that will help them to succeed academically at CUI.
- As a result of participating in the PAL program, student leaders will have a deeper understanding of Jesus Christ and how their faith can impact others through their position.
- As a result of participating in Freshmen Seminar, new students will obtain skills that will equip them to succeed at CUI and become significant contributors to the community.
Office of Student Conduct
- A decision letter will be issued within 15 business days from a case being put into PAVE.
- All incidents will be entered into PAVE no later than 9 a.m. the following business day.
- Students will not violate the Student Code of Conduct again as a result of participating in the Student Conduct process.
Residential Education and Services
- As a result of living in the Residence Halls, students will be able to identify 2-3 ways in which CUI faculty or staff care about them and their success.
- Students will be able to articulate their faith/spirituality by engaging in critical thinking and meaningful conversations.
- Students will be able identify and articulate the behaviors and actions that contribute to their personal development and safety and their residential community’s development and safety.
- Students will be able to identify and articulate the personal decisions that lead to a balance among education, work, and leisure time.
Center for Student Leadership & Development
Students who participate in ASCUI will be able to identify methods for effective communication within a team and how to initiative, promote and make change in an organization.
Students who participate in Fusion, Concordia Cares, Clubs & Organizations, and Diversity Awareness will be able to identify their role in the campus community and describe their level of commitment to the campus community.
LEAD Coordinators will be able to identify their strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats within Concordia’s Wise, Honorable, Cultivated leadership model and build strategies for growth in each area.
Student Health Services
- Students will articulate an ability to access health services.
Wellness Center-Psychological Counseling Services
- Students will receive personal and social support as they work on developing their own individual morals, values and beliefs.
- Students will develop skills to manage and overcome their psychological barriers.